On March 31, at the Sixth International Forum on Innovation and Emerging Industry Development, the Chinese Academy of Engineering released the results of the major consulting project “China’s carbon peak carbon neutralization strategy and path”. The major consulting project is composed of more than 40 academicians, more than 300 experts and dozens of units. It focuses on systematic research on industrial structure, energy, power, industry, construction, transportation and carbon removal. It aims to implement the decisions and arrangements of the CPC Central Committee and the State Council on achieving carbon peak and carbon neutrality and provide strategies and path choices.
The research shows that realizing carbon peak and carbon neutralization is the only way to promote the high-quality development of China’s economy and society, but it also faces many challenges.
In order to promote China’s carbon peak and carbon neutralization work, China should adhere on eight strategies as follow:
- the energy conservation strategy: giving priority to conservation, adhering to the concept that energy conservation is the first energy, and constantly improving the energy efficiency of the whole society.
- the energy security strategy: do a good job in the emergency response of fossil energy, properly respond to the instability of new energy supply, and prevent the risk of external dependence of oil and gas and key minerals.
- the non-fossil energy substitution strategy: based on the safe and reliable replacement of traditional energy by new energy, will continue to increase the proportion of non-fossil energy.
- the re-electrification strategy: focus on the substitution of electric energy and the development of electric raw materials and fuels, and vigorously improve the electrification level of key departments.
- the strategy of resource recycling: accelerate the upgrading and transformation of traditional industries, re-build the service process, and realize the multi-level recycling of raw materials.
- the carbon fixation strategy, adhere to the combination of ecological carbon absorption and artificial carbon use, enhance the carbon fixation capacity of ecosystem, and promote the research and development of carbon removal technology.
- the digital strategy, comprehensively promote digital carbon reduction and carbon management, and help the green transformation of production and life.
- the strategy of international cooperation, the responsibility of a major country in building a community with a shared future for mankind, and greater efforts to deepen international cooperation.
On the basis of the eight strategies, we can achieve carbon peak and carbon neutralization through the following seven ways:
- Improve the quality and efficiency of economic development and take the optimization and upgrading of industrial structure as an important means to separate the economic development from carbon emissions.
- Building a clean, low-carbon, safe and efficient energy system is the key and foundation to achieve carbon peak and carbon neutralization.
- Accelerate the construction of a new power system with new energy as the main body, and safely and steadily realize the net zero emission of the power industry.
- With electrification and deep decarbonization technology as the support, promote the orderly peak and gradual neutralization of the industrial sector.
- Realize the low-carbon transformation of transportation through high-proportion electrification and promote the transportation sector to achieve peak carbon and carbon neutrality.
- Focus on breaking through the key technologies of green buildings to realize zero carbon emission of building electricity and heat.
- Devise strategies to provide technical support for carbon removal to achieve carbon neutralization in the “last kilometer”.
In order to better solve the problems faced by China in the process of achieving carbon peak and carbon neutralization, the experts of the Consulting Project Team conducted comprehensive research and judgment and put forward three major suggestions:
first, maintain strategic concentration, do a good job in overall planning and coordination, and adhere to the national activities. Promotion of carbon peak and carbon neutralization on the premise of ensuring the orderly operation of economy and society and the safety of energy and resources supply.
Second, strengthen scientific and technological innovation to provide a strong driving force for achieving carbon peak and carbon neutralization. In particular, carbon neutralization must be supported by major breakthroughs in key technologies.
Third, establish and improve the policy system to ensure the implementation of carbon peak and carbon neutralization tasks and measures. Accelerate the establishment of a total carbon emission control system, accelerate the construction of a mechanism for integrated planning, promotion and assessment of pollution and carbon reduction, and constantly improve the construction of capacity support and supervision system.
欲了解更多信息和更多详情，请联系Simona Yang女士 ，邮件：[email protected]
For more information and further details please contact Ms. Simona Yang, email: [email protected]
China Europe Carbon Neutral Technology aims to support and substantially contribute to China’s path towards carbon neutrality in a holistic and inclusive way by gathering all the stakeholders and creating solutions for each challenge.
China Europe Carbon Neutral Technology will play an active and innovative role in providing services to conceive, shape, design and accomplish the transitions needed to achieve carbon neutrality.